Interviews with designers and design leaders from around the world. Recliner Designer covers the stories, passions, hacks, and careers of designers, researchers, and creative entrepreneurs. The podcast is a personal project and hosted by Lance Shields, a Design Director at Adobe.
Creator and Host
Lance is Director of International Design within Adobe Design. He leads a team whose mission is to create international-first solutions to help Adobe grow in new markets. Before Adobe, Lance had a 20-year career in Japan and the U.S. as a design director and designer for three global agencies (MRM, Scient, Agency.com) as well as running his own design firm iiD in San Francisco. His team just launched Modular, a suite of tools to make experience design more innovative and efficient: https://modular.adobe.com. His team has also embraced light-weight “mini apps” in Asian social networks as new territory for social creativity. Before Adobe, Lance was a partner at iiD, an award-winning design agency in San Francisco. He received an MBA from McGill and BFA in fine art from San Francisco Art Institute. He loves to surf (video) and travel around the west coast by van with his Welsh Terrier named Cooper (video).
Takeaways During Covid
- They largely feel fortunate to have a job that they can work at home and can imagine post-pandemic when they continue working remotely a good portion of the time.
- They mostly believe working and collaborating at home is doable with the current tools (Zoom, Adobe CC, Miro, etc.) and their productivity is relatively high.
- They miss the chance encounters and serendipity before Covid-19 and feel video calls can be too formal and controlled.
- Designers I spoke to had relatively high spirits through exercising, new hobbies, virtual social events, and enjoying time with family and pets.
- They believe design and design thinking will be extremely important during the post-pandemic in coming up with design that solves problems for people and businesses.